Friday 8 April 2011

Just Sunshine Educational To Tunisia

Lucie Jones of Liphook Travel writes of her recent trip to Tunisia...


Day 1

After meeting Tony Blakey, Can Deniz and 21 other travel agents from agencies all over the UK from Glasgow to Plymouth we join the check-in queue for our short flight to Tunis with Tunisair. Although the flight is full check-in was a breeze with hardly any queue at all.

Once we all get through security we head towards the nearest bar and wait until we can board the plane. I spend the time getting to know these other travel agents who I am about to spend the next four nights with.
We board the plane and I was surprised to see that there is no in-flight entertainment even though Tunisair is a scheduled airline. Luckily I brought a few magazines with me and the flight is only 2 1/2 hours long.
We land into Tunis to find that it is raining and meet Stroma. She has lived and worked in Tunisia for 10 years and is very knowledgeable. We get on the coach and head towards Hotel El Mouradi Gammarth. Once we have arrived we head straight to the a la carte restaurant, by now its 11pm and we are all very hungry! After dinner I am so exhausted I head straight to my room and to bed.

Day 2

I wake up bright and early to find that I have a pool view room. I jump in the shower and head to Jess's room (I took a mental note of where her room was before my head hit the pillow) and we both head to breakfast in the main restaurant. After breakfast everyone meets the hotel manager in reception and he takes us on a tour of the hotel.

Next we jump on the coach and head to the pretty little village of Sidi Bou Said. All the buildings are white with blue doors, windows and frames. It is beautiful and most cruise ship itineraries with include a visit here. After walking up the hill through the village we stop at a bar overlooking the bay and all have a glass of hot mint tea.

We take lots of group photos then get on the coach and drive to the historical site of Cathage. We get a tour of all the ruins and then head inside the museum to see the Roman mosaics. After this its time to head to the next hotel for our next tour. On the way we drive through the main area of Tunis and get to see parts of the Tunisian capital. We have lunch in the a la carte restaurant at Hotel El Mouradi Beach and then have a tour with the hotel manager. Today is really chilly but everyone still braves the freezing sea wind and has photos on the beach!

Next we get to see the Hammamet Medina and visit the fortress. We get on the coach and check in at Hotel El Mouradi Yasmine Hammamet. I am feeling unwell so do not join the others for a night out of eating, drinking and watching a Tunisian belly dancing show!!

Day 3

In the morning I am feeling better and after a nice hot bath and breakfast we have a tour around the hotel before popping next door to the Hotel El Mouradi El Menzah. After our tour we all walk to the marina
(a short walk down the road). We stop at a seafront cafe and have a cold drink.
It's a lovely area and the sun is shining at last.

After we have finished we take a leisurely stroll back to the hotel and stop for lunch in the main restaurant. There is so much variety on offer that I have a small portion of everything!
In the afternoon we jump on the coach and head towards Port El Kantaoui.
Once we arrive we check in at Hotel El Mouradi Palm Marina. I have a pool and sea view room and it's lovely. I love the mosaic patterned tiles in the bathroom!

I join some of the others for afternoon tea and sandwiches before having a shower and getting ready for my first night out in town. We go to a restaurant in the marina down the road and enjoy a delicious dinner. After dinner we go back to the hotel and head straight for the hotel bar! I am not feeling 100% still from the day before so decide to call it an early night and leave the others to drink the night away.


Day 4

I am feeling 100% better today! I have another hot bath and head for breakfast with some of the others. We have a busy day ahead of us although after last nights events I thought some people would have bad heads but everyone seems to be feeling ok! We have a tour around Hotel El Mouradi Palace which is next to our hotel on the same beach.

After the tour we get on the coach and drive 1 1/2 to Mahdia. We stop for lunch at El Mouradi Mahdia and again there is so much to choose from. We have a tour of the hotel with the manager and then we jump back on the coach and drive to Skanes.

Once we arrive we have a tour of El Mouradi Skanes. This hotel seems to have more guests and there is a lot going on. We have a look at the beach and all have a group photo on the beach! Its lovely and warm today but I feel a bit silly walking round whilst guests are sunbathing on their holiday!
Before we know it we're off on the coach again to Sousse. We stop at the Medina and get 30 minutes shopping time. Instead of going into the main shopping centre with its fixed prices I decide to check out the local stalls with Gemma and Jess and try haggling with the locals! Time goes so quick... it's already 5pm! We head back to the hotel and a few of us go for afternoon tea again.

I then go up to my room to glam myself up for our last night of the trip. We all have dinner together in the main restaurant and then head to the bar. We spend our time chatting about the trip and what we have enjoyed the most and then the majority of us hit the hotel's nightclub. We have a great time and by 2am most of us 20 something year olds are ready for bed however we leave the over 30s to it and in the morning I found out that some of them didn't get to bed until after 4am!!

Day 5

Time to go home. We check out of the hotel and go to the airport.
Once we're all checked in and through security we have a look around the only duty free shop in Tunis airport, but to be honest the prices are high!
(Lacoste t-shirt is 63 euros!) I decide that I won't be buying that for my boyfriend after all! We seat ourselves in the cafe and have a snack and a drink.

Once we're on the plane I am surprised to see larger seat pitches and seat back entertainment screens with small remotes in the arm of the seats. The selection of music, shopping and movies is excellent and I settle in my seat and watch Disney's The Princess and The Frog. Again the food on-board is great and apart from the turbulence I enjoy the flight.

We land into Heathrow to find that the agents from Manchester, Newcastle and Glasgow cannot get their connecting flights thanks to the UK weather warning and snow! However I make it home safely but I am very cold!

Lucie


1 comment:

  1. SeaBreezeTravels:To my mind, the greatest reward and luxury of travel is to be able to experience everyday things as if for the first time, to be in a position in which almost nothing is so familiar it is taken for granted. Flights to Cape Town

    ReplyDelete